Proper nutrition for osteoarthritis of the knee joint is the basis of effective treatment. Anyone interested in improving health should understand what kind of diet is needed for knee joint arthrosis. Basic principles, allowed and prohibited foods, sample menu - the main issues that need further consideration.
Arthrosis diet requirements
The main purpose of a diet for diseases of the knee joint is to lose weight, get the right amount of nutrients that have a positive effect on cartilage tissue and the symptoms of the disease. Adequate nutrition must be observed until the end of life.
General principles of the osteoarthritis diet:
- The need for fractional nutrition. It is recommended to eat in small portions up to five times a day. Fractional nutrition prevents overeating and therefore ensures the prevention of a better weight.
- The maximum amount of calories per day is 3500 kcal. This caloric content is allowed with an active lifestyle and serious physical work.
- Dinner is necessary a few hours before bed.
- It is recommended to constantly monitor the weight.
- The diet includes healthy foods that contain components necessary for the knee joints. Potentially unhealthy foods are excluded from the menu.
- Dishes require adequate heat treatment. The benefits of food depend on it.
- Eliminate very hot and cold foods. It is advisable to have hot meals.
- Careful and slow chewing is necessary. Compliance with this rule will prevent overeating.
- It is recommended to drink from a liter and a half a day. The emphasis is on clean water.
The diet is developed under medical supervision, in the same way that doctors take the patient's health status into account when providing recommendations. Experts recommend including products on the menu that help obtain the necessary amount of nutrients. Body support aims to prevent osteoarthritis and eliminate symptoms associated with inflammatory processes.
Arthrosis of the knee requires minerals and vitamins, so this aspect is important in meal planning.
Vitamin C is considered one of the most important. Vitamin C forms the connective tissue, restores the cartilage of the knee joint. The antioxidant properties protect the cartilaginous tissue of the knees from free radicals. Doctors note that women need less vitamin C every day and more for men. Vitamin C also helps to improve the immune system, thanks to which the body fights inflammation of the knee joints on its own.
Boron promotes bone renewal. Boron and magnesium contribute to the complete absorption of calcium, necessary for knee joints. As a result, boron and magnesium, as well as calcium, are needed in the preparation of the diet. Three components acting together are needed not only for treatment, but also for prevention.
Pantothenic acid improves the cellular health of the knee joint. A useful component is present in beef and pork liver, nuts, mushrooms and green peas. The amount of the substance is determined by the severity of the symptoms.
Include omega-3 fatty acids in the diet. The substances eliminate the pain syndrome, the inflammation. For a pronounced therapeutic effect, a constant supply of fatty acids is required.
Many people are interested in knowing what you shouldn't eat with knee joint arthrosis. Some food products contain potentially dangerous substances. If food increases the risk of weight gain, it is also recommended to ignore it.
The following foods are excluded from the diet:
- Fatty meat products. These products lead to weight gain, disturb the condition of the knee joints, have a negative effect on motor activity and aggravate symptoms.
- Vegetables: white cabbage, peppers, tomatoes. These vegetables contain dangerous components for the cartilaginous tissue of the knee joint. For example, the use of tomatoes for knee arthrosis is minimized, despite the presence of nutritional components in fresh vegetables.
- Fruits and berries that contain acids. These fruits lead to the accumulation of dangerous mineral salts for the joints.
- Flour products, sweets. These foods contain simple carbohydrates that threaten to gain extra pounds.
- Coffee. Excessive use of the drink leads to a decrease in the calcium salts in the body. This results in joint problems. Calcium deposits help to keep your knee joints healthy.
- Alcohol. There is a violation of metabolic processes. Nutrients are no longer absorbed.
- Semi-finished products, street fast food.
- Refined fatty oils.
- Salt. Doctors recommend keeping an eye on the amount of salt. Excessive intake of salt threatens salt deposits, deterioration of the knee joints.
Doctors also prohibit smoking, as nicotine causes vasoconstriction as a result of disruption of metabolic processes. Smoking reduces the effectiveness of any treatment.
Fasting is prohibited during healing. The body needs nutrients. The use of diuretics and laxatives is prohibited. These drugs interrupt the metabolic processes, contribute to the loss of nutrients necessary for the knee joints.
The diet includes foods useful for arthrosis of the knee joint. Healthy foods provide the nutrients needed to improve knee health.
- Poultry, meat and fish with a low fat content. Meat and fish dishes must be natural. Soups based on meat broths are consumed regularly, but preference is still given to the first vegetable dishes.
- Fermented dairy products. The proteins provided improve the cartilaginous tissue of the knee joints. The maximum fat content of dairy products should be 3. 2%. The menu includes fermented dairy products with a high calcium content.
- Eggs. It is allowed to eat up to three eggs a day. A large number of eggs interrupt the metabolic processes, so there is a risk of negative effects on the knee joints.
- Natural meat jelly. The dish contains collagen and chondroitin, necessary to improve the condition of the knee cartilage.
- Nuts. Intake of vitamin E improves metabolic processes, stimulates the flow of beneficial components in the knee joints.
- Cereals. The most useful are corn, rice, buckwheat, hard pasta. Cereals cooked for normal times provide complex nutrients and carbohydrates to support the body.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables. These foods contain nutrients that help the body fight knee inflammation.
- Still mineral water, green and herbal tea. The diet also includes freshly prepared fruit and vegetable juices, previously diluted in water. Healthy drinks help to obtain vitamins and maintain the body's water balance.
The menus for knee arthrosis include healthy foods to ensure optimal nutritional intake.
Sample menu for a day with arthrosis
The diet is varied and nutritious if the menus are adequate.
Drink a glass of clean water before breakfast. The fluid improves metabolic processes and cleans the intestines.
Drink fruit or vegetable juice first. After 20 minutes, it is advisable to eat porridge with a piece of butter. If you wish, for breakfast plan cheesecakes with natural honey, cereal biscuits, sandwiches with hard cheese, soft eggs, vegetable salad. After breakfast, drink green or herbal tea.
Fresh fruits or dried fruits are eaten for lunch. Nutrient intake is mandatory in the diet to improve health in osteoarthritis.
Planning a vegetable or meat soup for lunch. For the second, chops, roasted cutlets, roasted and boiled fish are ideal. It is recommended to take care of the presence of vegetable stew, mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes, cereals. Rye bread will contribute to the intake of additional substances designed to improve metabolic processes.
In the afternoon snack they eat sweet and fresh fruits, drink a cup of dried fruit compote with dry biscuits.
Nutritionists recommend a light meal to prevent weight gain. Recommended dishes are vegetable salad, cottage cheese casseroles with relaxing herbal tea.
When planning adequate nutrition for arthrosis of the knee joint, the emphasis is on optimal calorie intake, intake of useful components.